Saturday, August 2, 2014

Day #45-46

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday! It's extremely difficult to have the brain power to blog when getting home late after being constantly busy all day.

Yesterday I worked at the church with Robyn. We were quite productive for once. I even hung some pictures on her wall in her office that she printed out about 5 months ago. Mid-morning we went to one of the nearby schools to do a short lesson with the first graders during their break. Although at first shy when meeting me, they quickly warmed up to me after they found out that I was American. It's shocking what your nationality will do for you in a foreign country.

After working, I went to a friend's for my first sushi experience. There was a group of nine of us that hung out and ate together. As they all awkwardly stared at me as I took each bite, I was so proud of myself for trying new things. Although I wouldn't order it on my own ever again, it was a good experience and I enjoyed it. After sushi we went to KFC (yes, they have KFC) to get ice cream. I'd say it was a rather successful day.

Today, I literally did absolutely nothing until about 2pm and it was great. Around three, I started to prepare for South Africa's first ever BBQ (they call it a braai). I made two bacon/cheese potato casseroles, salad, and an apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Adolf grilled all of the meat that everyone brought (thank goodness). I was a little nervous at first when preparing because I wanted everything to be perfect! Most importantly, I wanted them to like the food. Thankfully, I got all compliments and everyone was very pleased.

After dinner, we all played Pictionary for about an hour. The laughs were endless as we guessed what each horribly drawn picture was. At about 11:00pm I was ready to start shoving people out the door. Just kidding! I had such a fun time and was so glad that everyone enjoyed the BBQ.

-----------

I heard a quote yesterday that stuck with me. It read
"Until God opens the next door, praise him from the hallway."

What an incredible reminder.

Over the past few days I have grown tremendously in my faith and trust in the Lord. I have drawn closer to God and relied more on his word for understanding. In doing so, I have realized that there are far more things to be thankful for than things to be grumpy about. I have realized that I am so blessed to have such great friends both in America and South Africa. I am blessed to have family that love me and never cease to show me even halfway across the world. I am thankful for clothes, a bed, food, and a million other things on my never ending list.

And so I will do just that. I will praise him from the hallway. Because surely he deserves it.

xoxo
Taylor





No comments:

Post a Comment