Saturday, August 9, 2014

Day #52-53


Yesterday was my last day working with Robyn at the church. As always, it was such a pleasure to hang out with her as we got a few things accomplished. I constantly remind Robyn that she was my very first friend here in South Africa. I told her yesterday that we (mostly I) have come a long way in the past 8 weeks!

After working with Robyn, Dalene and the boys picked me up to go get milkshakes. I can already tell that they are going to be the hardest goodbye of all. The love I have for the Reyburn family is unfathomable. I don't even want to think about how challenging it will be to part ways with them at the airport.

After milkshakes, I met up with a different Robyn for round two of shopping! Not too long after, about 15 of my friends from Eastside met up for a farewell dinner. As I sat and enjoyed the company, my heart was overwhelmed by several different emotions. Although I’m normally not one to cry in front of other people, saying goodbye to all my Eastside friends left me no choice.

As we finished up dinner a huge lump in my throat began to develop and I knew that the next few minutes were going to be difficult.

Mark and Tam were the first people to leave and they literally broke the barrier between tear and eye socket. I just lost it. As we said our goodbyes, I was heartbroken to know that it would be quite some time before I would see them again. They are truly remarkable people and they have impacted me in so many ways since I’ve been here.
One by one, they all said their goodbyes as I somewhat quietly sobbed on their shoulders. It was a tough night to say the least.
 
 
This morning at around 5:45AM, I woke up to get ready for a prayer walk. Six of us went to Faerie Glen to walk up one of the hills just after sunrise. As we reached the top and overlooked all of Pretoria, I reminisced on all of my time here in SA. Like an old film, my mind slowly played clips of my favorite memories. Again, the lump in my throat slowly began to develop.
As we all went around praying for various things, I was completely and utterly humbled. I was humbled to have had the opportunity to come across the world to do Gods work as a missionary intern. Humbled to have friends that support me and encourage me both emotionally and spiritually. Humbled to have the chance to grow in my faith and become a better disciple and leader. Humbled to have met such amazing people that made me feel at home even when I was halfway across the world. Most importantly, humbled to have had the opportunity to give light and hope to those who were lost and broken.
I will not dwell on the fact that my time here is over but rather rejoice and be thankful that it occurred. This trip has taught me so many new things and changed me in numerous different aspects. I have grown stronger in areas where I was once weak. I have mended bridges that were once broken. I have looked past my “imperfections” and realized that God made no mistakes when he created me. I have grown tremendously in my walk with the Lord- I have truly been transformed.
So as I finish packing up what is left of my stuff and preparing to say goodbye to the Reyburn's, I will remember and know that it is not goodbye, but rather see you later.
xoxo
America
Please pray for safe travels as I head home this evening. Pray for a sense of peace & ease, as well as, rest on my long journey back to the states. Also, please pray for my health and that I will stay as far away from the Ebola virus as possible while traveling. I'll see ya'll Americans tomorrow!





Dalene & I


Robyn

View from this morning

My incredible friends




No comments:

Post a Comment