Monday, August 4, 2014

Day #47-48

I attended my last church service at Eastside last night. As Mark called me up so that they could pray over me, I was overwhelmed with a number of mixed emotions. As I shared a little bit with the congregation, I expressed to them my sincere gratitude for all that they had done for me in the past two months. What incredible church Eastside is. I am so thankful to have become a part of their church family during my time here.

I am staying with Debbie and Lonnie while the Reyburn's are out of town for the celebration of their anniversary. Since we did not go out to any of the under resourced centers today, Debbie and I independently worked on our own projects. For me, I had quite a large task to accomplish...a sermon. The following weekend of my arrival back home I am preaching a sermon at my church (CBC) based on all of my experiences and growth in my faith.

Knowing that I will be quite busy catching up next week, I decided there was no better time than today to start preparing. Miraculously, I am 85% finished with all of my preparations. Praise Jesus!

Debbie is making chicken fried rice for dinner tonight. I am so excited!

--------

You may know the story of the lost, or 'prodigal' son that Jesus told. It's in Luke 15:11-32

It’s a story about a son who forgets about his father, take his inheritance, and walks away from the family home to live for himself (verses 11-16). Eventually, he comes to his senses (verse 17) and decides to go back to his father (verses 18-20). He’s expecting to be punished for his behavior, and is willing just to be a servant in his father’s house, but he’s surprised by his father’s reception. In the story, the father doesn't interrogate his son, he doesn't tell him off, he doesn't do anything except show love. All he cares about is that his son has returned.

In reading the story, I'm reminded of God's great love for us. As Christians, we often stray from God. Or at least I know I do.

However, even in those times of God's disappointment in our disobedience and unfaithfulness, all he is really concerned about is our return back to him. He doesn't dwell on where we have been or who may have taken part in our loss of focus. Instead, he is excited; thrilled actually. Like an owner of a lost puppy that has been returned home. Like I was when my precious iPhone was returned to me when I left it in a random McDonald's bathroom before my flight to SA. Like a family who finally is reunited with their soldier.

Similarly, I think of God's reaction to us as we find our way back to him. Or as his good and faithful servants are welcomed into the gates of Heaven.

What an incredible God we serve. He is a God of forgiveness and mercy. He welcomes us back with the same joy each time we stray from him. He anxiously awaits us and wants us to one day stand before him in Heaven. He desperately wants the opportunity to express to us how proud he is of our work as his disciples.

God's return policy is quite simple. It doesn't matter how many holes or stains you may have. It doesn't matter how many times you may have changed your mind. It doesn't matter the paths you've taken or the choices you've made while absent from his presence.


All we have to do is return.

xoxo
Taylor



 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment