Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Day #1

It's around lunch time here and I've already gotten so much accomplished today. For starters, we were up early to travel to the church (Eastside Community Church) around 8am. When I got here, Robyn (coordinator of my trip) immediately assigned me with numerous tasks to start on as they are preparing for their "Holiday Club" week, which is basically like our VBS.

We took a small break not too long ago to travel to some of the markets and pick up a few necessities. Their shopping centers are quite different and everyone looks at me as if I have "I'm American" written across my forehead. Also, I still managed to pick a rickety cart.. even in South Africa, go figure.

The rest of my day looks to be just as busy. Robyn is soon sending me off to a "trailer ministry team" meeting and get together. Afterwards, I will be attending a "braai" which is basically a BBQ with unfamiliar African food. Great.

So far to eat I have eaten chicken noodle soup and potato chips, I'm so adventurous.  I'll be staying with my first host family- the Reyburn's starting tonight.

Pray for me as I am as lost as Nemo. The culture shock is overwhelming and the driving scares me.

Also, for those wondering the address to the church here is:
PO Box 37697, Faerie Glen 0043

xoxo Taylor

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Uncle Dean and I are so proud of you. We can not wait to see and hear about your trip for the next 8 weeks. We can not wait to see what plan God has for you there. Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. You are about to see some of those plans unfold infront of you for the next 8 weeks. I also think of you every time I hear the song from JJ Weeks Band " Let them see you" I know they will see him in you because you are always showing that. Not sure if you know but God is not only with you changing lives in South Africa but you are changing lives here back home in one way or another. We love you and pray for you every day! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor I love reading your posts and hearing of your adventures. Those children there will fall in love with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you have this blog so one I know you are ok...and two and can enjoy all your adventures. Glad you got there safe

    ReplyDelete