Thursday, June 19, 2014

Day #2 - Part 2

Two posts in one day, lucky you!

Today has been such a spectacular day. I was able to spend some quality time with the Reyburn's. We first traveled to the boys' "Zulu" lessons which is a language spoken here in South Africa. That was quite an experience in itself. While at the
lesson I  had my very first taste of traditional hot tea. It's quite popular to drink hot tea in Africa. In America, when we go to visit someone it is common to ask if one would like a soda or whatever else to drink. Where as here in Africa, it is almost a given to immediately begin to boil water in the kettle upon the arrival of your guest. However, I think I'll just stick to sweet tea.

Next, I traveled with Dalene and the boys to see some important buildings, sights, etc. Dalene was great with explaining everything to me so that I could have a better knowledge of the culture here. Once we got back, I was informed that their bible study group was coming over for the night to eat dinner and have bible study. Although at first apprehensive, it was such a privilege to sit in on the study. The faith that the couples in the bible group had was unbelievable. Sharing stories, testimonies, and even cracking jokes was such an uplifting time. To be surrounded by individuals so bold and confident in their faith reassured me that our God is such a great and mighty God who can connect people from all over just by being in the presence.

I know what you're thinking. "When does Taylor start working in the mission field?"...."When does the life-changing events start?".  Well, to answer your question, this week I'm mainly preparing for VBS for next week (completing props, creating name badges, registering kids in the system, etc.). Next week during holiday club (VBS) I will start working hands on with the church and the kids. The following week, I will participate in what they call "trailer ministry" which is basically like taking the holiday club program, songs, lessons that we did the week before out into the rural communities. It is this week that I will really get up close and personal with the more poverty stricken areas and really test out my missionary skills. As for the life-changing events, well... those have already began to occur and it's only been two days.

Enjoy the pictures!

xoxo
Taylor





No comments:

Post a Comment